Thursday, May 5, 2011

Perfectly Chocolate Cupcakes


I've made several chocolate cupcakes from scratch using recipes I found here and there in the www. Today, I was looking for a great chocolate cupcake recipe again and stumbled upon this post from Glorious Treats. What a wonderful recipe! Looking at the pics, I'm sure I won't be disappointed.

This recipe was originally from Hershey's :-)

Perfectly Chocolate Cupcakes
(makes 24-27 standard sized cupcakes)

  • 2 cups sugar
  • 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
  • 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa (best quality available)
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup whole milk
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract (best quality available)
  • 1 cup boiling water

Directions:
  1. Line muffin tin with paper liners. Heat oven to 350*F.
  2. In a large mixing bowl, stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
  3. Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla. Beat on medium speed for one minute.
  4. Stir in boiling water (the batter will be thin, don't worry, this is right).
  5. Fill liners 2/3 full with batter. (I usually put the batter into a large measuring cup with a pour spout, and then pour the batter into the liners.)
  6. Bake cupcakes for aproximately 22-24 minutes.
  7. Cool completely on wire rack before frosting.
I was able to make more than 24 cupcakes. In fact I was able to make 24 mini-cupcakes from the leftover! My daughter enjoyed the miniature sized cupcakes, she ate 4 at once!


The cakes are very moist and very chocolatey. The kind that you'd want to devour after a breakup. Great to eat with Coke! Ok, we can stop with the sugar addiction now.

Mini and adult cupcakes :-)

Do you want it sticky and chocolatey?

I feel like I'm in Bohol

I didn't use the prescribed cream cheese frosting because I used up my last pack of cream cheese yesterday. Let's use the dependable buttercream shall we? This time, let's make it a Brown Sugar Buttercream frosting.

This is from Martha Stewart.

  • 4 large egg whites
  • 1 cup packed light-brown sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature, cut into tablespoons

Directions

  1. In a heatproof bowl set over (not in) a pan of simmering water, whisk together egg whites, sugar, and salt. Cook, whisking constantly, until the sugar has dissolved and the mixture is warm to the touch.
  2. Transfer to the clean bowl of an electric mixer. Beat on medium speed until fluffy and cooled, about 15 minutes.
  3. Raise speed to high; beat until stiff peaks form. Reduce speed to medium-low; add butter, 2 to 3 tablespoons at a time, until fully incorporated.

Just for fun, I colored the buttercream blue and yellow

Cute
Mother and daughter :-)

Pawis rating: 2 or 5 very easy!

No comments:

Post a Comment