Monday, July 25, 2011

Cake Balls


Melting chocolates was never my favorite task in the kitchen. I hate it! Chocolates are so sensitive. You have to melt them slowly so they don't burn, then you have to use them quickly so they don't harden.

This very reason was behind my frustration when I first tried making cake balls/cake pops. Bakerella made it look so easy. I was fooled. I learned that in making these deserts, you have to be very quick.

But I was not one to be easily discouraged. I'm stubborn so I tried again.

Cake Balls
from Bakerella.com

Bake your cake. This could be chocolate, vanilla, whatever you like. You can use a cake box mix if you like. I used the Martha Stewart recipe I used here.

The best part is crumbling the cake.

Make frosting. I used the basic buttercream recipe I used here.

Combine the crumbled cake and frosting. Make sure the frosting is well incorporated but not too wet.

Shape into balls. I used a measuring spoon and shaped the ball using my hands.

Place your cake balls in a cookie sheet lined with wax paper.

Continue shaping the balls until you fill your cookie sheet. Place the balls in the fridge for 2-4 hours or in the freezer for 30 minutes.

Get your chocolate and decorations.


Melt your chocolate in the microwave for 1 minute or on top of the stove. Sorry, no pictures (as I said, I find this stage very stressful so I had to work quickly). Get a cake ball, cover the ball with the melted chocolate and cover in sprinkles. Place in mini-muffin cups and keep in the fridge for a few hours so the chocolate will set.

I know, I know...I wished for a neat cake ball similar to what you see all over the net. I need to practice some more!

Pawis rating: 4 of 5 hard!

No comments:

Post a Comment