Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Healthy Eating: Fish and Tofu in Black Bean Sauce


I must admit that my husband cooks WAY BETTER than me. He is Kapampangan which explains why he's good at the tantya method of cooking. He cooks by taste not by measurement.

I, on the other hand, knows how to do any household chore except to cook. This explains why I google recipes, watch cooking shows and youtube videos and read food blogs. This also explains why I started baking first before cooking. With baking, everything needs to be exact - you need to follow the recipe down to the last details. Which I like. Because I don't know how to estimate ingredients. You have a fixed measurement of all the ingredients so ideally you can never go wrong.

It's actually my husband who saw this recipe in the Quickfire TV show. He did not took notes, he just remembered all the ingredients and again, he just estimated everything while he cooked.

My turn to try this recipe. I wasn't able to watch the episode of Quickfire so I googled the recipe. Lucky me! Quickfire has a Facebook page with most of the recipes from the show! Yey!

Fish and Tofu in Black Bean Sauce
Recipe from Quickfire Facebook Fan Page

  • 1 sili labuyo, chopped (I did not use this because I don't want this to be spicy for my kids)
  • 1- 7 Grams AJI GINISA SHRIMP (I didn't have this so I used Maggi Magic Sarap)
  • 1 thumb sized ginger, minced
  • 1 tablespoon black bean sauce
  • 2 tbsp soy sauce
  • 1 tbsp vegetable oil
  • 1 tbsp white sugar
  • 1 tbsp slurry (This is just cornstarch dissolved in water)
  • 1 tsp sesame oil
  • 300g cream dory (Cut into squares)
  • 1 pack firm tofu, drained and cubed
  • ½ spring onion, sliced (I didn't have this)
Heat up your pan or your wok and add vegetable oil. I used canola oil.

Fry ginger, garlic and labuyo (if using) until aromatic.

Add the fish squares and stir fry for a 2 minutes. Add the tofu cubes and season with Aji Shrimp or Maggi Magic Sarap.


Add the black bean sauce, soy sauce, sugar, sesame oil and stir fry until the fish is cooked, about 5 minutes. Season with a dash of pepper.

Add slurry slowly, checking to see that the sauce does not dry up. If it does, add a little water.

Toss chopped spring onion, if using.

Serve hot.

Pawis rating: 2 of 5 very easy!

No comments:

Post a Comment