Sunday, March 13, 2011

Caramel Fudge Brownies without the Caramel

For the record, I have tried to make brownies twice and failed. In both cases, I have the bottom part totally burnt into a black, solid base and the top part wet which means it's still hilaw.

So, I figured maybe three's the charm! Yeah right, I was actually thinking, I'm sure I'll mess this up again.

I got this recipe from Yummy's recipe book So-Easy Swe
ets. I think there were 3 brownie recipes in there but I chose this one because I had all the ingredients at home.

Caramel Fudge Brownies

For the caramel fudge (which I did not do because I don't have co
rn syrup)
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup whipping cream
2 tbsps butter
1 tbsp corn syrup
dash of salt

For the brownie
1/2 cup chopped unsweetened chocolate
1/2 cup butter
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
2/3 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chunks or chips

  1. In a saucepan, melt sugar until lightly browned. Gradually add cream, then butter and corn syrup. The mixture will form bubbles - just keep stirring until the caramel is smooth and the sugar is completely melted. Simmer for about 30 minutes or until caramel is thick. Remove from heat. The caramel will thicken as it cools.
  2. Preheat oven to 350F. Line an 8-inch square pan with aluminum foil then grease the foil. Set aside.
  3. In the microwave or in a small pan, heat chocolate and butter together until melted. Remove from heat.
  4. Stir in sugar and mix well. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in vanilla.
  5. Add flour and mix until well blended.
  6. Pour mixture into the prepared pan and bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until done.
  7. Spread caramel fudge over baked brownies. Top with nuts and chocolate chunks. Cool.
I tweaked this recipe a bit because I don't like caramel and I don't have corn syrup at home. I followed the instructions for making the brownie, added 2 tbsps of the walnut-chocolate chip combo into the mix and popped into the oven. When the brownie's almost done (top looked cooked but when you insert a toothpick, the middle part is still not done), I took out the pan and sprinkled the rest of the walnut-chocolate chip chunks to cover the whole thing. Then I put the pan back into the oven and waited till it's done.

So, why did I mess up the first 2 times I made brownie? Two things: (1) I
did not cover the pan with aluminum foil because my pan is non-stick, and (2) I placed the pan in the lower portion of the oven where it's very hot. This time around I followed the instructions carefully and remembered the tip I see in some recipes I read in the internet (always put the pan in the middle or top part of the oven). Voila! Brownie success!!!

Took the pan out of the oven and sprinkled chocolate chips and nuts on top. Look at the lovely aluminum foil dressup :-)

Pawis rating
: 2 of 5 - easy!

No comments:

Post a Comment