Thursday, March 24, 2011

Paella Fried Rice

Most people I know, at least most moms, would have a signature Filipino dish. I don't have one. I don't even know how to cook a basic adobo. Boohoo!

So...I made up my mind I would master paella. Naks! First step - get a very simple paella-ish dish. This one from Yummy is very easy to make.

Paella Fried Rice by Chef Jun Jun De Guzman

1 1/2 tablespoons finely chopped garlic
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
3/4 cup sliced onions
1 teaspoon paprika Bilbao (Spanish paprika or smoked paprika)
1 piece chorizo Pamplona, sliced
4 cups cooked rice
1 medium bundle asparagus, trimmed and blanched
1/2 medium head cauliflower, trimmed and blanched
1 medium head broccoli, trimmed and blanched
1 red bell pepper, roasted and sliced

  1. Sauté garlic in olive oil. Add sliced onions and cook until translucent.
  2. Mix in paprika Bilbao and cook until aromatic. Add sliced chorizo and continue cooking until fat is rendered.
  3. Mix in cooked rice and toss well until coated with paprika mixture.
  4. Add vegetables and mix well. Serve while hot.

Seasoning tip: Adding precooked chicken, pork, or seafood (shrimps, crab, fish fillet chunks) will make this simple side dish a meal all on its own.

Sorry, no pics :-( My camera's battery died just when everything was ready.

I was coming home from work one morning when I decided to cook this. I called up the house while driving and asked for the helper to buy brocolli, red bell pepper and chorizo.

I made a mistake here because I asked our helper to buy chorizo de Bilbao instead of chorizo de Pamplona. It was an expensive mistake! The bilbao costs almost 100 pesos! I don't know how much pamplona is and I'm not sure if we have it here.

Next time I make this though I would season with salt because the paprika is a little matabang for me. I also added chicken so this could be a complete meal. I didn't use cauliflower (because I don't like that vegetable at all) and asparagus (because no one sells that in our local market).

I shall try this again! This is a good, satisfying meal. Who knows maybe in the next months I will be able to make an authentic paella valenciana!

Pawis rating: 2 of 5 - very easy!

No comments:

Post a Comment