Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Onion Focaccia Bread

I'd love to have an iPhone. Not that I don't like my Blackberry anymore...ok, I hate it. I hate that it has very limited available applications. I hate that the screen is so small. I hate that I can't do much with it without an internet plan (and do you know how freakin' expensive internet plans are in this country???) Yup, I would love to have an iPhone right about now.

Why am I saying this? You know those fun applications in iPhone or iPod? Are you familiar with Whole Foods recipes? :-) That's where I got this latest recipe.

This recipe is for Onion Focaccia. But since I don't like onions and I'm the boss here (hehehe), I decided to skip that and just use parmesan cheese and dried rosemary.

This bread is a huge failure. I was very frustrated and felt that I'm really not meant to be a bread-maker (is there such a word?).

Apparently, I used the wrong yeast. The recipe called for active dry yeast but stupid me, used instant dry yeast. Stupid me again, googled AFTER cooking the bread and realized this huge mistake. A wiser me should google BEFORE starting to cook if anything in the recipe seems unfamiliar territory.

This is sad. I could tolerate bland food but not inedible food or should I say, thing? Aargh!

The only redeeming factor here is the kneading and the punching. I didn't know it was such a relaxing activity! I will do this again just to knead and punch dough.

  • 1 tsp honey or maple syrup
  • 1 (1/4 ounce) package active dry yeast
  • 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 1/2 tsp salt, divided
  • 1/4 cup plus 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
  • 3 pounds sweet yellow onions, cut into eights, then thickly sliced

  1. In a large bowl, mix 1/2 cup warm (105 to 115F) water with honey or maple syrup. Sprinkle with yeast and set aside to let stand for 5 minutes, or until foamy.
  2. Stir in flour, 1 1/2 tsp of salt, olive oil, and 1 cup warm water, then transfer dough to a lightly floured surface.
  3. Knead until smooth and elastic, then transfer dough to a lightly oiled large bowl, turning the dough to coat. Cover and let stand in a warm draft-free spot until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.
  4. Meanwhile, heat remaining 1 tbs oil over medium heat in a large skillet. Add onions and remaining 1 tsp salt and reduce heat to low. Cook, stirring frequently, for 1 hour or until onions are very soft and golden brown. Set aside to let cool.
  5. Punch down dough, then transfer to a lightly oiled jelly roll pan or large baking sheet and pat dough out into a 15-inch X 11-inch rectangle. Cover and let stand 45 minutes or until puffed and well risen.
  6. Spread onions over dough, then cover and let rise again for 30 minutes.
  7. Preheat oven to 425F. Uncover dough and bake on the lowest oven rack for 25 minutes, or until crust is golden brown and crisp. Cut into pieces and serve.

I took the dough a few minutes before it is cooked and sprinkled parmesan cheese and rosemary all over. Returned this to the oven to cook through.

Does this look like a bread? It's more like cement, cement bread.

So not decent...very frustrating

Pawis rating: 5 or 5 this whole "letting the dough rise" is very depressing.

No comments:

Post a Comment